It is no doubt a very funny thing when you first see an animal with a bag stuck over its head. In a way, we believe even though they have been naughty, there is a sense of 'cute' added to seeing them being caught in the act. "So who dug in the trash today?" you mumble to Fido, and after taking a photo or two, you help them escape their - what is perceived to be an innocent - plastic trap.
The fact is, if you were not there to catch them in the act, they would almost certainly have died due to the little oxygen that they did have in the packet or bag, which then quickly turns into carbon dioxide and they would soon suffer a horrible death. I myself have helped many animals with their heads trapped in jars, cans and plastic containers. Even though I never thought it funny and felt very sorry for them, I never knew just how many animals - especially pets - die each day from asphyxiation.
After researching the topic, I have come to realise how little many of us know about this hidden danger in our homes.
Product Packaging Awareness Requests
Manufacturers who make these products yield little empathy or show any form of significant action to help make their packaging safer for pets. Cooper was one of the doggies that suffered this horrible fate, but her owners were so upset about this, that they asked Frito-Lay (an American company) to please change their packaging for the snack jar that had Cooper's favourite treats in it. And they did!
Blue, a beautiful rescue pup also succumbed to a Cheetos bag. His sad owners took this education and awareness campaign to the next level by creating a massive awareness campaign for every pet owner. They are also advocating and asking companies to put awareness lables on their packaging and warning their clients about the possible dangers imposed on their pets. Read about Blue's story here.
- Visit and "Like" Prevent Pet Suffocation on Facebook, and please share their FB page.
- Follow Prevent Pet Suffocation on Twitter @4YouBlue2
What can you do to help make everyone more aware of preventing pet suffocation:
- Keep all chip bags and food bags safely stored away from your dog's reach.
- Tear / cut up / pop all chip bags and food bags after use.
- Keep all trash can lids tightly fastened, locked, or behind a cabinet, especially in the kitchen.
- Keep kitchen pantry door closed.
- Learn CPR for pets. How to do CPR on a Dog or Cat
- Do not allow your pets to roam freely in the house while you are away.
- Alert all your friends and family about the suffocation dangers of bags.
- Lobby to companies like Frito Lay and other snack, cereal, and dog food manufacturers to put warning labels on their bags.