Has Google gone to the dogs? We think so... but in a nice way!
No more wondering if you have a scuffy mutt or a pure breed. According to Google Lens (maybe a reinvention of Google Glass?), this application will give you the exact (possible) breed that you have. It all sounds wonderful, but having looked into the matter we found some interesting facts of this new feature on Google.
According to Google you can download Google Photos app and Identify popular breeds with Google Lens
"Recently, we made Google Lens preview available in Google Photos across Android and iOS. Now, when you take a photo of an animal — like a cute cat or dog—you can use Lens to help identify its breed and get more information."
We did a quick test with our own scruffy wire fox terrier and a mixed breed dog we found on Google search.
The results were interesting, and while we believe this is fantastic technology, it will still need to be tweaked a little before we can "Google a Dog or Cat Breed" with confidence.
We took a quick look at our rescue cat too
She has some Siamese in her and the outcome was closely more accurate.
PetHealthcare will give them a 3 out of 5 for their fantastic feature and effort and we look forward to hopefully seeing the improved version!
Try it for yourself and let us know what you think about the Google Lens for your pet identification too.
How to Use Google Lens to interact with your photos
You can get more details or take action on your photo using Google Lens.
For example: If you take a photo of a:
- Business card: You can save the phone number or address to a contact.
- Book: You can get reviews and other details about it.
- Landmark or building: You can get more details about it.
- Painting in a museum: You can get details about it.
- A plant or animal: You can learn more about it.
- A flyer or event billboard: You can add that event to your calendar.
Note: Google Lens will work on any device with the latest version of Google Photos. Currently, Google Lens can only be used if your device language is set to English.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Photos app .
- Select a photo.
- Tap Google Lens .
- Depending on your photo, check the details, or take an action.