February 28 marks the end of the Tax Year. Donating to an Animal Rescue or Shelter is something that will always make you feel good from the inside out. You give towards the care for animals who are not in the same position as you and your pets - this kind gesture means more than you could ever imagine. There are many organisations which you can donate your time and or money to.
Most Animal Welfare Organisations and Animal Rescue Shelters in South Africa are registered Public Benefit Organisation in terms of section 30 of the Income Tax Act 58 of 1962 and donations to the organisation are exempt from donations tax in terms of section 56(1)(h) of the Act.
A donation's certificate in terms of section 18A of the Income Tax Act can be issued by these organisations for donations received for the exclusive use by these organisations.
How to make a donation and claim the tax:
- Decide which Animal Rescue or Shelter you wish to support.
- How much money will you be donating?
- Are you going to pay them online or hand them the cash?
- You will receive a receipt which you need to make use of at the Tax Year End.
- Have you changed your postal address in the last year? You need to notify your beneficiaries of such a change so that your Tax Certificate does not get lost in the mail.
- Contact the organisation/s that you have made donations to over the past year, and request your Section 18A Tax Certificate.
- Submit this Tax Certificate together with your other tax returns in order to claim your 10% rebate.
If you’d like to claim even more from the tax man, why not make another donation now before tax year ends on 28 February?
Thank you to Cape of Good Hope SPCA for the great work that you do!
Donating your unwanted items:
If you have physical donations that you wish to donate, simply make a call to the organization that you wish to make the donation and set up the arrangements. Some organizations allow drop-off any time while others prefer you to make an appointment. Even still, some organizations even come and pick up your items!
Source: Cape of Good Hope SPCA
There are also many other Rescues and Shelters that you can choose from ...
Let the animals be the winners!